Sunday, March 13, 2011

Wait for me!

I am a good two weeks behind in my Cherry House Solid Quilt Along. The flickr group has a bunch of completed quilts. I finally got around to getting backing fabric. I just went with solid black. I had left over batting from my quilts that came back from Jenny, so that worked out well. This is my first quilt job, so I am little nervous. I did a terrible job basting. I was very careful with smoothing out the top, but I didn't think about the backing. I pinned it all, flipped it over and it was messed up. I redid one side, but I am going to go ahead and quilt from the middle out to that side and then re-baste. Will be an after church project. Pray for Cherri, please. She has been well lately and has had to visit the doctor several times.

1 comment:

  1. WAIT!! You need to redo your basting. Trust me, it will be worth it. You don't want puckers in your backing.

    If you have a hard floor, like wood or vinyl with enough space to layout your quilt, lay out your backing and use making tape to tape it down on all four sides and four corners. Smoothing, but not stretching the fabric.

    If you have carpet, use pins to pin your backing to the floor. Don't lose your pins. Ouch...Use as many as you need to hold your backing down neatly.

    Then lay your batting down. Smooth, smooth, smooth it all over. I start from the middle and smooth out.

    Lastly, lay out your quilt top. Smooth, smooth, smooth it out. Don't pull or stretch your fabric.

    Smoothing it as you go.

    Then pin bast your quilt. You will want your pins to be very close together. I pin mine every 5 to 6 inches.

    When I quilt on my sewing machine, I always use my walking foot, unless I am doing free-motion quilting.

    I can't tell from the picture, how big is the quilt?

    ReplyDelete