Thursday, November 18, 2010

Layer Cake Quilt Along- Block 2

In the movie Clueless, Cher talks about how she doesn't rely on mirrors when picking an outfit; she takes Polaroids. I took that approach with this block from the Layer Cake Quilt Along. I wasn't sure how to make the colours work, so I took pictures to make an objective decision. I did learn the importance of scale. Reading quilting magazines and books, they always talk about scale, but I've never really grasped the concept. My first choice had too many small scale fabrics, so I switched one out to a larger scale and it totally worked. I also had to make a call on what is considered a dark when there is truly only one dark in the layer cake. I decided that I would take my 'darkest' light and make that a dark. I think it worked pretty well. I went with option 4 of the different combinations.




The block wasn't the easiest to work with. I am glad I had some experience with half square triangles, but even with that I did double check that I had sewn it right before I cut them apart. For the most part my points turned out ok, but the straight squares are off. Go figure!! I did unpick and sew them again, but I couldn't get them to work. I gave up. Oh well!

I am really enjoying this quilt along. I am learning how to read instructions and definitely learning how to put colours and prints together. I may be a quilter yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment