Saturday, November 6, 2010

Layer Cake Quilt Along- Block 1


My fabric arrived this morning and I started right into Block 1 for the Layer Cake Quilt Along. I did make a conscious decision to try and make the contrast work; I folded up the fabric squares to make sure.



For the first two squares I trimmed off the pinked edges and that wasn't a good idea. Those pinked edges are included in the 10 inch measurement and so I was a smidge off (1/16th of an inch) with some of my measurements. By the third square I had figured out to keep the pinked edges. There was also the option to add an applique circle in the middle square. I decided to go for it. I have never done applique of any sort before. I used a zig zag stitch, but apparently my tension was off because the fabric puckered. Ooops.

I thought the block turned out pretty well, even though the middle block did skew things a bit. There is a flickr group and when I look at the other blocks, I wish my block was more crisp. Maybe by the end of the quilt, I will have the crisp look down. Can't wait for the next block pattern to come out.





2 comments:

  1. Your block is beautiful. I love the pink and brown combination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on your block! It looks pretty crisp to me.

    ReplyDelete